Friday, October 30, 2009

Doodling

If you believe that playing around with maps is a displacement activity from the reality of writing, then I haven't put the past couple of weeks to good use. If you think they're a good way of developing a fantasy world, which is not a five-minute job, then the conclusions are more hopeful.

Yesterday I expanded my map a little further by adding some names, as well as getting to grips with some software techniques to make the map more attractive.


I've narrowed down my field of operations to a single portion of the larger Azundel map (the top right corner of the original) and put in some drop-shading on the landmass to give a three-dimensional feel (this looks even better with the map blown up to full size). But the real development is place-names. Adding these moves us from a doodle to a real map. Next we may add some cities to populate our fictional "commonwealth".
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

Re your first paragraph, Tim, I suspected as much (I only wish my displacement activities were equally ornamental) But the map is very beautiful. Are the place names Dutch? They certainly look it. I haven't tried to pronounce them...

Verification word: malunm. Quite a good place name, but definitely not Dutch.

David Isaak said...

The layout is fraught with possibilities, which is my definition of a good map.

I need to see mountain ranges to really get the picture, though...